Thursday, September 11, 2008

Back to the Hospital

Ya ever heard the doctor say it gets worse before it gets better? Well, Lauren got better (almost) and then much worse! She spiked a fever Sunday night and by Monday morning (Labor Day) her injury had gone from the healing mild pink to a purple red again and the swelling was returning drastically. So, we left the Jenkins' party in Park City and took her to the on call doctor in Provo who suggested that we take her back to the hospital for the IV antibiotics again. When the infectious disease doctor saw her again he ordered an ultra sound (which has not and still didn't show an abscess) and later a CT scan. They finally found the hiding abscess and scheduled her for surgery. Tuesday morning Papa Lee and her daddy gave her a blessing and she had a successful surgery later that afternoon.
I was comforting her on the bed before they came to get her and suggested that I stay with her for the ride to the OR. We waved to all of the people on the way down and most of them smiled and waved back.In pre-op she got nervous so they gave her some stickers and a couple of Beanie Babies (they gave her the cute teddy blanket for her wagon ride to the CT scan.) They let me stay with her until the anesthetics started to put her to sleep...VERY wise!
Waiting for the surgery wasn't bad. I got a little anxious when they didn't come and didn't come when they estimated they would. Then having Papa Lee there, then Grandma Jane, Aunt Missy and her friend Alexis, and Aunt Marci (it was her 20th birthday), and then Grandma Lee come helped ease the stress. ALTHOUGH, there is something about being in a stressful situation like this that when the burden is shared all of the pent up emotions find their escape.

After the surgery, she was excited to wear the crown she had made. What a relief to have to her back on the road to recovery.
Jaro, the beautiful Newfoundland, came to boost her spirits. Debbie, from Child Life Services, got to be good friends with Lauren and helped make her hospital stay enjoyable.
Like painting butterflies out of coffee filters with A. Carillisa. Debbie later added pipe cleaner antennas and strung them from her ceiling.
Aunt Carillisa spent several hours with her one evening while her mom and dad took a mini break back to Park City for their belated anniversary celebration. Grandma Jane came to relieve A. Carillisa and SPENT THE NIGHT with Lauren. There were lots of worried friends and relatives that came to visit - THANKS to all of you who made an effort to show Lauren how much she is loved. (I didn't always remember to take pics, sorry)Going to bathroom was QUITE the ordeal. One night I had to call Papa Lee to come help. He has a great relationship with Lauren and has a way of explaining things to her so she isn't so afraid...like going to the bathroom even when you think it's going to hurt! As you can see with the IV and catheter - it's not an easy task.He was here to visit everyday and sometimes twice, when Gma Lee came too.She stole the hearts of her nurses, especially Dennis who brought her stuff as often as he could.
After a WEEK in the hospital she is discharged and ready to go HOME...catheter and all! Dennis took her out in the wagon and she waved good-bye to everyone on the way out.
She went back yesterday to get her packing changed for the fourth time since her surgery and will go again tomorrow. She is getting better but I've said that before! Let's just pray this is really the END.
I've posted a couple of videos of her coming off the drugs (from the packing procedures). If your interested in seeing more click on "Cracking Up!" and "One More" on Aunt Carillisa's blog

7 comments:

Marcy said...

Oh Becky, I'm so sorry you've had this scare! I'm glad she was able to have the surgery she needed. I hope she never has to go back to the hospital.

Tyler + Jess said...

Becky,
Im glad that Lauren is getting better! I love the videos! She is a doll! I cant wait to see you guys again!
Love ya!

Anne of Green Barlows said...

I am so glad that she is finally better! What a trooper...Hopefully this is the end of the road and you won't have to see the inside of a hospital anytime soon.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Oh, I am so glad she is finally home! Those were stressful days and I am not even her mother!

I love the photo of Rissie helping Lauren on the potty.

Sidney and Lily Sheffield said...

Becky-
I am sorry this all happened and I did not even now! So, Dennis (the nurse) I credit him for me staying in nursing school. He and I went to school together 18 years ago. Good Man. Even you end up there again come visit the IMC 2nd floor and see if I am around.
love ya,
Sharon

Sidney and Lily Sheffield said...

SO, read what I wrote, sorry for all the errors. eeek.
Sharon

Loraine said...

What an experience! I'm glad it's over. Sad that it means you are now off to Miami. Great photos and videos which buoy up the experience. I love you all.

Familia Jenkins

Familia Jenkins
Lagoon Day


Daddy's princess on her pony.

Gingerbread House

Gingerbread House
The kids put this together in Bear Lake for the Jenkins Annual Snowmobile trip. Our poor kids...when we unloaded the car of our suitcases Lauren asked,"Do we live HERE now?"

Where's the fire?

Where's the fire?
Jon's dad tried to change the fire alarm but with it linked to the security system the fire department was automatically contacted. So after five minutes of obnoxiously loud alarms going off the truck showed up. Oops

Date with Daddy!

Date with Daddy!
Jon took Lauren to Hollywood Connection for some one on one time together. It was a hit. :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANDSOME

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANDSOME
September 17th 1978

Where does it hurt?

3/14/05 Lauren's cough continues, and after her heartbreaking cries of, "I don't like my cough." I asked her where it hurt, thinking it could be either her throat or her chest. She said, "Right here." Then mouth wide open she pointed to her throat with her entire hand in her mouth and her finger at the back until she gagged.
2/19/08 This morning, we are eating breakfast when J interrupts the brief silence with a small basement burp. Without missing a beat, Lauren says, "What do you say, Daddy?" He excuses himself, then still in her motherly tone adds, "We don't fart at the table do we?"

Junk Food

9/16/08 Yesterday Lauren learned the difference between junk food and healthy food. So this morning, when she saw Rissie with a piece of candy, she said, "Mom, can I please have some junk food?"
2/9/08 Today Lauren asked me to redo her hair because it was "falling off!"

2/27/08 Lately L. has been insisting that I call her Cinderella. Sometimes I can hear her upstairs call for CINDERELLA. in a mean "step sister" tone, then in a sweet voice will answer, "I'm coming." She failed to pick up her toys when I asked, so I tried her new name and it worked wonders.

2/29/08 So L. is watching her old favorite and after Dory explains to Marlon that memory loss runs in her family, Lauren says, "It runs in my family too, Dory."

Cookie Dough

L: (in her sweetest voice) "Mom, can I have some cookie dough please?"
M: "Sure."
L: "Well," pause, "do you think you can get it from the fridge so I can like it?"
4/20/2008 So Lauren got some gum (not a fan) for being a good girl. Later, Jon asked her if she had swallowed it. She said, "No." Then he asked if she threw it away. She said, "No." So he asked her where it was, she told him it was in her throat.

Anna two months

Anna two months
L. and R. have been singing and dancing to their new piano that plays fun tunes. L. has been learning them and singing them around the house. A few days ago I overheard her sining, "Mary had a little sheep, little sheep, little sheep,...

Finding the Moon

Lauren shouts, "Grandma, there is the moon!" She started singing Twinkle Little Star, but in the mean time we had turned the corner and she soon discovered it was gone. So she tells Grandma, "We need to find another moon." 01/13/08

Lunch on the "patio"



Lauren has a new fascination with cokewatches. What's a cokewatch you ask? It's Lauren's word for Cockroach! :)

Grandma Jenkins

Grandma Jenkins

Grandma & Papa Lee

Grandma & Papa Lee

Anna's first week

Anna's first week

Anna's first day

Anna's first day

4 weeks - ALREADY

4 weeks - ALREADY
Her first and last day of church in Mexico

The Trike

The Trike
L is lounging while watching our tennis match...this is the trike that ate me.

Kids are the best source of laughter

  • I was getting dressed and L happened to be there and as I reached for my br_ she asked, "Mom, you put your b__bs on?"12/07
  • R had gotten in trouble for something, then after some reflection L said matter of factly, "Well, she's learning."12/07
  • L just told Jon to look at her stomach then lifted her arm, pulled down her sleeve, and showed him her armpit.12/07

Story came to play

Story came to play
These three happy girls just finished spinning in Daddy's chair. What kid doesn't LOVE that? When Story's mom came to pick her up she gave me the door prize she'd won. It was a full hour massage at a spa in town. It was HEAVENLY! Thanks Brooke.

L"s Nursery Teacher and friend Lesley

L"s Nursery Teacher and friend Lesley
Sunday doesn't come fast enough for L. to go with her teacher to Nursery. She will scout her out in S.M. and wave to her the rest of the meeting. She loves her.

Who's Here?

Rissie's Birthday

Rissie's Birthday

Lauren Louski Lou

Lauren Louski Lou

Hello Marissie Maroo

Hello Marissie Maroo

A. Missy & Hrma Malia

A. Missy & Hrma Malia
Loved the visit!

Ready for Church

Ready for Church

Rissie"s stuck

Rissie"s stuck
She yelled for help and I grabbed the camera

Rissie"s NEW look

Rissie"s NEW look

Ponytail Girls

Ponytail Girls

L"s B-Day Party @ Gma J"s

L"s B-Day Party @ Gma J"s

She"s done it again!

She"s done it again!
You'd think she enjoys getting it untangled with that grin.