On Monday, Kade and Rissie went to the hospital lab to get their blood drawn. Lauren, knowing how bad it would be, gave Rissie a little pep talk before she left. All the while they were gone she made a little "I love you" card. Super sweet. Then today, Jon took both Rissie and Kade to the doctors office and came home with a very unhappy daughter. Apparently, when Rissie found out she was getting a shot and the nurse was out preparing them, she cried to Jon, "I don't want you to be my dad anymore. You just want to hurt me." (Our parenting was obviously slacking with the explanations of the what's and why's the past few days). There was also something in there like, "Mom isn't going to be very happy with you." Unfortunately for her, none of these got her out of the dreaded shots.
Later tonight as the aches in her thigh muscles worsened and before the Tylenol kicked in we had a little talk about why good moms and dads let their kids get shots because they love them, etc. even though they hurt. Then about an hour later, as I was lying next to her to say goodnight she said, "Mom, I am glad you are my mom and I'm glad Dad is the dad." Then she paused for a second and asked, "When is he going to learn how to cook?!"
***

The doctor told Jon that Rissie is anemic and not gaining enough weight. It's no wonder, that girl is such a picky eater and it's a battle every meal just to get her to eat a few bites. Ugh! I am frustrated about it. Not only does it make me feel like I have failed her in this as her mother, which bothers me the most, but I am also a dietitian (now my personal pride is damaged too!) SO, based on my expensive education I am not going to be a short order cook for her, BUT I will make more options available at each meal. Sigh. Sorry, Sweetie.
***
On a happier note I'll share one last funny of Rissie's. During this same good-night conversation, Rissie tells me, as I am running my fingers along her back, "Scwatching backs makes humans fall asleep."
3 comments:
Oh, those sweet little kidlets! Can't wait to see them again.
I just love those little kids! I want to just hold them.. You should just come out here already!!
Remember how stinking cute they are... http://vignettedme.blogspot.com/2011/03/happy-birthday-kade.html and
http://vignettedme.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-took-cutest-pictures-of-my-nieces.html
Oh, my. I had a similar experience when Shyre was about 12 months. She only wanted to eat cereal at weird times of day... I wanted to train her to eat at mealtimes (she wouldn't do that very well) ... anemic. You are right. It's not a fun feeling knowing you are in charge of their (not-so-well-rounded) health. Snacking became part of our regimen for a while. She got better.
Your kids are SO adorable!
Post a Comment