For a couple of months now I've heard about the Nativity Open House in Midland. In fact, Young Women's was cancelled this week and our church services today was a combined Midland ward's fast and testimony meeting for one hour. "It's amazing!" I was told, and, "You don't want to miss it."
Yesterday, Jon and I took the kids. I was looking forward to it, but not nearly as much as I'll be next year now that I've experienced it for myself and know what to expect.
Over 600 Nativity scenes were set up in the classrooms throughout the meeting house. The windows had been covered with black cloth and tables beautifully arranged with great care. Boxes on tables covered in silks of gold, green, black, brown and other rich colors allowed each scene to be showcased. The rooms were lite by white lights around the Christmas trees and the mini spotlights positioned around the displays. Pleasant Christmas music streamed through each room, which, for me, was the perfectly essential finishing touch to make this moment of reflection so meaningful.
By the second room my heart was swelling with love. What I was experiencing was a culmination of countless hours of inspiration. The talent of the artists sculpting and painting these beautiful scenes, the music, the lights, the display came together because of their individual desires to display love and tribute to the Savior they worship. I naively thought I was entering a museum, but really, I was joining a spiritual feast ready and waiting for me to partake. The sweet feelings of love I have felt in my life as I've been touch by His tender mercies and love were brought to my remembrance. My prayers offered in recent weeks were that I would be able to make this Christmas season a spiritual experience for my children thereby gaining appreciation for the reason for our celebration. I knew this was a gift not to let pass. I gathered my little ones around me and shared with them how my heart was being touched and if they listened with their hearts they too would feel the beautiful spirit of love their Savior has for them.
As we walked through the rooms, they quietly observed. What a great blessing this was, and just what I was hoping and praying for. At one moment, my six-year-old, Rissie shared how she was sad because she missed Heavenly Father and Jesus. This allowed us to talk about the veil and how in special moments like this we are able to remember a little more.
When we neared the end of our walk, I came to this beautiful sculpture of a mother and child, meant of course, to represent in this setting Mary and the Christ child. It reminded me of a necklace I was given of a mother and child connected in arms in a similar fashion. I wear it and remember the wonderful blessing of being a mother. In this moment, I saw the special connection that I have as a mother to my precious babies that Mary had to hers. God and the world loved her baby. Then with great intensity, I felt how God loved my babies too. He loves my babies and my sister's, and my mom's, etc. He loves all of his children. As quickly as my mind accepted this concept my heart felt the magnitude of this great and wonderful truth and it grew inside of me.
Moments like this that strengthen my conviction and solidify what I already know to be true are gifts from heaven. I'm grateful for these gifts. I love my Savior, and know that He loves us.
I hope that you, my friends, family, and other visitors, are blessed with moments this season that help you know too.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
3 comments:
Beautiful.
What a beautiful post about a wonderful experience with your family! I hope to have those types of moments with our children as well. Thanks for sharing!
Look at your beautiful family. Your five kids are darling and I am in awe of you! Love you and miss you!
Post a Comment